Saturday, December 25, 2010

Hungarian Christmas Treats, part II

Here's how to make beigli. I decided to make a web album on Picasa instead of an illustrated step-by-step blog post of unusual size. Here are the ingredients, and a picture of the result. I can make these in about two hours, but before I got good, it used to take me a lot longer.

Pastry:
4 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups butter
2 Tb. sugar
1 package active dry yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
sour cream or milk as needed
4 egg yolks + 3

For the filling (per roll; pastry makes 3 or 4):
1 can poppy seed filling
1/4 cup white raisins
1 Tb. grated lemon peel, or juice
OR
2 cups ground walnuts
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tb. melted butter
apricot preserves
oven at 375°F

The photo-directions are HERE.
(I like the poppy seed kind best.)

Boldog Karácsonyi Ünnepeket!

1 comment:

  1. It looks like potica! My roommate usually makes potica with walnuts, but I think she made it with poppyseeds once.

    (Most of Eastern Europe will probably kill me for saying that Hungarian food looks just like Slovenian food. But then again, I'm already dead for getting Slovenians and Slovaks mixed up...)

    ReplyDelete