Friday, December 10, 2010

Nature (being a book written 15 years ago)

Here is an informational science book I wrote when I was six.
MT. EVREST IS ThE TALLEST MOUNTAIN IN ThE WORLD MT. SINI IS A BIBLE MOUNTAIN MT. MICHL IS A hIh PEAK
[Mt. Everest is the tallest mountain in the world. Mt. Sinai is a Bible mountain. Mt. Mitchell is a high peak.]WILLO tREES HAVE mASCETOS BRANChES HANG LOW BRADFRT PARS HAVE FLOWERS BUT ThER SMELY
[Willow trees have mosquitoes. Branches hang low. Bradfort Pears have flowers, but they're smelly.]GOLD FISh LIVE IN SEAS ThEY LOOK GOLD SO ThRE GOLD FISh
[Goldfish life in seas. They look gold, so they're goldfish.]
ROCKS ARE CRESTALS ShELS ARE MINRALS ROCKS ARE DIFRINT
[Rocks are crystals. Shells are minerals. Rocks are different.]WATR CAN HAVE LIFE TO LIKE FISh AND SEA WEED AND ROCKS AND SAND
[Water can have life, too. Like fish and sea weed and rocks and sand.]ROSES HAVE ThORNS DASIYS HAVE POKY MIDlS PANSYS HAVE LOTS OF LAEFS
[Roses have thorns. Daisies have pokey middles. Pansies have lots of leaves.]SAND IS A MISTRY You FIND ShELS AND ROCKS You BILD SAND CASLS
[Sand is a mystery. You find shells and rocks. You build sand castles.]

Mt. Mitchell must've been the only mountain in America whose name I knew. I'm not sure what I meant by saying rocks were different. Or that rocks and sand are alive, for that matter. I wasn't sure exactly what sand was, though, so like a good little scientist I admitted it was a mystery, rather than make something up.

5 comments:

  1. That is incredible. You should publish...this is much more interesting than any informational science book I've ever read. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! And I was writing for people at all ages (I remember thinking), so I reached my target, for once. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you mean you're not sure what you meant by saying rocks are different? It's a self-evident statement: rocks are different! I'm not even sure how anyone could try to deny the fact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I mean that I'm not sure whether I meant that rocks were different from shells, or different from each other. I liked pointing out the obvious, even back then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not an either-or, it's clearly a both-and, and more. 8^)

    ReplyDelete